The Canterbury Car Club was established in 1946 and was one of the principle founders of Motorsport New Zealand; – The largest and most active circuit owning motorsport Club in New Zealand – More than 850 members containing past and current New Zealand Championship drivers – Organizer of more than 50 events per season (race, navigation rally, motorkhana, circuit sprint, drifting) including the famous Lady Wigram Trophy Race and SKOPE Classic events.
The history of New Zealand Motorsport was born in Christchurch well over 100 years ago.
On the 13th of November 1901, New Zealand organised its first ever public motorsport event held at Lancaster Park (now JADE Stadium). It involved 4 vehicles running in a handicapped race and drew a crowd of 5000 spectators to watch a triumphant R H Every win by a quarter of a mile in 11 minutes and
Ever since that first race, Cantabrians have been passionate about their motorsport.